Monday, April 13, 2009

Heavener Memories too

Glen you sparked some memories with your last blog "Heavener Memories"

It must have been about 1944-45 in the first house we lived in in Heavener, out on the old
Waldron Road

We had a pot belly coal stove in the middle of the living room and mom cooked on a kerosene cooking stove. In the winter Dad would get the pot belly coal stove red hot, it just glowed red!

No TV of course, and the radio wasn't a big thing then in our lives. Sometimes Dad would bring home a 50 lb bag of peanuts and mom would roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Mercy!! What a great treat!

Mom washed our clothes in a washer with a gasoline engine. I remember it had a kick start and Mom would get it going and it had a long flexible metal exhaust that she laid out so the exhaust was out in the back yard.

We had a small garage and that was where the coal pile was.

We had an outdoor toilet and on back behind all of that was the pig pin that Dad raised pigs that provided lots of ham and bacon for us.

The "oil branch" was on down behind that and of course a great exploring area for a little boy. Mercy!

Across the oil branch was a large vacant area where the Gypsies used to camp. I remember them coming in their covered wagons and then in later years they had cars and pulled Windstream house trailers. The trailers were so big and the cars were overloaded the bumper would be only about a foot above the surface of the road. Over in that area was the remnants of a house that was gone but the basement was there and always about one third full of water. It was a great crawdad hole. Mercy we would take a piece of bacon fat and tie it onto a string and we would catch a lot of crawdads.

More later when the mood strikes. :)

6 Comments:

At April 13, 2009 at 11:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good memories, too, Bill, I'll have to come up with something.

 
At April 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Thanks for the memories, Bill. I wonder how many of our generation grew up with outdoor privies? I was in the fourth grade when we go indoor plumbing. Mr. Hearn was the plumber and his son was in my grade, I think.

 
At April 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Jerry Hearn was in my class and Dean Hearn was in my older brothers class. Mrs. Hearn had the two boys and lived behind us over in Cox Addition. I don't remember Mr. Hearn they were seperated.

 
At April 15, 2009 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Bill,
There may have been two Hearns families--I checked my fifth grade annual and found Jerry Hearn in your class as you said, and Philip Hearn in my class. What is your memory of this?

 
At April 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Yea, I guess there were two Hearns families. I didn't know Philip.

 
At April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM , Blogger colin said...

Glen, do you remember the Duncans.
They lived in a house across the road north of you somewhere. They had been our neighbors when we lived out at Forester then around 1949 or 50 they moved into town. We came to town to visit them when I was around 5 or 6 and it was in their house that I saw my first "indoor" plumbing. I remember being kinda proud of myself for figgering out the toilet worked with out having to be told. colin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home