Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The blogging business

One thing about this blog business, it can be done at any time. You can do it full-time, part-time, or any other kind of time.

On the Heavener blog site, it’s only part-time, like do-it-when-you-think-of- something-to-write. But to some, it can be a full-time business. Like if you work for a large metropolitan newspaper, or even a smaller newspaper, for that matter.

The Longview-News-Journal, the newspaper for which I used to work, is a small paper, but it has bloggers, as such. Such as The Four Horsemen, four LeTourneau University (for which I also used to work) students, who are doing a good thing for the Susan Komen Foundation.

They are making a 5000-mile trek to major league stadiums, and raising funds for the Komen cause, which is to raise money for fighting breast cancer. They are writing a blog about each stop they make.

They made their way to Yankee Stadium the other day and I read about it on the News-Journal website. Naturally, I had to make a comment, since they were in Yankee Stadium. Just think, if I were still at LeTourneau as SID, wouldn’t they need someone to go along and write stories about their trip?

Anyway, I wrote a comment on their blog, congratulating them for making the trip for a good cause. I said they were to be commended. When all the time, I was thinking how I could be going and taking pictures, doing stories for them.

Like, why didn’t I think of that?

I guess there is something to being at the right place, at the right time, huh?

Then as I was watching First Take on ESPN this morning, a guy from the Los Angeles Times was on it, explaining about his USC blog on the website. I thought, “This guy gets major air time for writing a blog on Southern Cal?”

I can just see ESPN talking to me about writing a blog about Heavener football, or something.

Then, these other folks write blogs about their retirement. Like The Travelling Pensioners. Did you realize there our 535 bloggers in Tyler, Texas alone, and I know two of them. In Texas, there are 21,000 and in the United States 2,730,000.

There are only a handful on the Heavener blog: Chuck, Bill, Glen, Craig and a few others.

There’s even a Maureen, Chuck. Not your wife, but she probably could be. Bill Babcock has a blog on billsafflegaffle.blog spot.com with blogs on Babcock’s Store, etc., and his wife Joan has one devoted to her mom on momandme.blog spot.com. They both have pictures. They’re both very interesting.

On the old HOL (Heavener on line) site, there were several blogs. Chuck’s was What’s Up Chuck, a humorous name, I thought. Gracie Coggins Kidwell hasn’t logged on yet, I guess. Neither has Pat Burroughs.

We’re waiting.

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2008 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Craig Hall said...

John, if you ever write for ESPN, you would be an improvement over many of their writers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home