Wednesday, December 3, 2008

1945-48 or so

When we moved to Heavener, I was pre-school age and we lived out on the old Walderon Road south of the intersecting road that went west across the "lower crossing". The lower crossing was the south RR crossing. We only had two crossings then.

If you came east on the road that crossed the lower crossing the first intersection you came to was the road that took you to downtown. On the northeast corner of that intersection was a blacksmith shop. I spent many hours standing around bare footed in that old blacksmith shop watching the old blacksmith (I never knew his name) heat metal to a glowing red and beat it into a shape he needed. Mostly Horse shoes.

My mom used to send me to Dunn's Grocery Store that was located north down that street from the old blacksmith shop to the first intersection on the southeast corner. Rayburns built there later.

One day my mom sent me to Dunn's to get a "peck" of potatoes. (who know's what a "peck" is?)
On my way I found a really nice stick of wood. It was about the size I would have needed for a crutch. So being a boy of around 7 or so, I used it for a crutch. I put it under my arm and hobbled down the street to the store. I hobbled up the step into the store not being mindful of the adults who were watching me. I was just a boy being a boy. I went up to the counter and asked Mrs. Dunn for a peck of potatoes.
She asked me why I was hobbling around on that crutch. I had to think fast, I told her that I had sprained my ankle. She gave me the potatoes and watched me as I went hobbling out of the store on my crutch carrying the peck of potatoes wondering why my mom would send me to the store hobbling on a crutch like that.

The next time I was in their store with my mom Mrs. Dunn related that incident to my mom and told her as she was watching out of the window as I left the store and started down the sidewalk, when I came to the ally between the store and the next building, I threw the stick down the ally and went walking on down the sidewalk.
Mercy!

10 Comments:

At December 3, 2008 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having spent a good part of my youth working Olive Brothers, I've toted a good many "peck" sacks out of there to customers cars. A peck sack was the typical large grocery bag and a peck is 1/4 of a bushel. Many of the older customers called those bags "pokes". Actually back in those days there was a third crossing. It was where the paved crossing there by the Independence road is now but back in those days it was just a trail and there was a pipe across the "oil branch". Us west side kids crossed there many times on the way to school and ball games and such, huh Glen?
colin

 
At December 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Dunn's store owned by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dunn?

 
At December 4, 2008 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

John, that sure sounds right, I think it was Mr. & Mrs. Fred Dunn.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Bill, that old blacksmith shop was owned by Jim and Jack Davis' grandfather.
Colin, I once even balanced on that old pipe carrying my bicycle.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Bill. Remember when you lived across the street from us? Same old stomping grounds for us. Yes, Mr. Davis owned the blacksmith shop and my dad worked there with/for him for a while. I also went to Dunn's to pick up a loaf of bread, etc. from the age of about five. My sister, Inella, once went to Dunn's and asked for "a sack of a loaf of bread." One day we were walking from the shop to the store and saw a man sprawled across the trail. We thought he was dead and ran screaming back to the shop to tell Daddy. When he went to check, it turned out to be the town drunk, passed out. And yes, it was the Fred Dunns who owned the grocery store.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's that old anonymous again. That was Pat Burroughs at 8:38 PM.

 
At December 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred Dunn lived on 2nd Street, caddy-cornered from the Babcocks, just a few houses from me. I don't know when he moved there, but when I knew him, he was an (real) elderly gentleman.

 
At December 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Hey Pat, Yes, I sure do remember you guys living across the street from us. I also remember your brother and dad operating an auto repair shop out behind your house.
Mercy! That was another world we lived in.

 
At December 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John, that was Frank Dunn who lived across from the Babcocks. Fred at one time lived on East 1st street.

And Bill, you're so right. Another world altogether.

I used my password a few minutes ago and it was fine, and now it tells me it's incorrect, so I'm going to try to get in as anonymous. This is Pat.

 
At December 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Pat Burroughs said...

John, I meant to say that Frank Dunn's wife was Callie, who was a small-framed, crippled lady. Trudy was Fred's wife, and she taught Sunday School in the Baptist Church for many, many years. They were all such nice people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home