Saturday, November 29, 2008

Narrow Gauge Railroad Pictures












 

           


















Because I grew up in Heavener when the railroad was king I have always had an intense interest in trains.  Steam powered locomotives are of particular interest.  So when the opportunity arose to ride on a narrow gage train pulled by steam powered locomotives (two on the steepest grades) I jumped at the chance.

 Jessie, my son Michael, and I were touring southwest Colorado and wanted to ride the Durango and Silverton narrow gage but we couldn’t get tickets on the day we wanted.  So we drove on down to Chamas, New Mexico where the Cumbres and Toltec operates.  There we got tickets to ride over Cumbres pass into Antonito, Colorado.


 The track from Chamas to Antonito is so full of curves that old time gamblers used to bet on the direction they would be heading at various times during the ride. 


 Now there is no point to this blog other than to show the beautiful views of the trains.  So I hope you enjoy them.


4 Comments:

At November 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glen, I have been on the Durango-to-Silverton ride four different times and the beauty of the mountains just amazes me. From the pictures, your ride was just as breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them.

 
At December 1, 2008 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

Hi Glen,

My wife and I took that same trip (the Cumbres and Toltec) from Chamas to Anonito and back a few years ago at the peak of the Aspens' color. It was a beautiful experience. Thanks for reminding me of it.

 
At December 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Glen

I have not taken the trip but I want to. The scenery was just beautiful, It must have been a hair raising experience.

Bob

 
At December 3, 2008 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Pat Burroughs said...

Hi Glen,

Nice pictures. Clem and I took that trip a few years back and would like to go again. It is a bit intimidating to look down the side of the mountain below the tracks at some points, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home