Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas memories

With Christmas coming this week, it seems to be coming in like the March winds. Fast and furious.

Not that I have a long list of memories about Christmas, but I do have a few. Christmas is supposed to be a fun time of the year and to celebrate our Lord. I’m thankful for all I’ve received over the years, including Cynthia, my daughter, to Cynthia’s daughter and son, not to mention my two grandsons and two granddaughters. They are all special and part of a what has been a good life.

As a kid growing up, Mrs. Eaton was always part of our Christmas every year, for as far back as I can remember. Mrs. Eaton was a special friend who lived a couple houses away and someone whom I went to visit very often. We (I) also had to use her telephone whenever we had a real need to call anyone, because we didn’t yet have a telephone. I don’t know if Mrs. Eaton was in on an inside joke or not, but one time my dad dressed up as Santa Claus and snuck up to the window outside and peeked inside as I was opening presents. At the time, it almost scared me to death. By the next Christmas I had forgotten about Santa’s impromptu visit, but I don’t think I ever again left him cookies to eat or milk to drink.

Another time, I remember being heavy into the scouts and mom and dad got me all kinds of BS (Boy Scout) stuff. You know, cooking utensils, cups, forks, plates, etc., to use on camping trips. Mike Mattison and I got a bushel load of things to use, then for some unexplainable reason, we both quit the scouts a month or so later.

I got the usual things a kid gets; pistols, Army men, and all sorts of play things, such as a bicycle. It came to dad’s work, at Bill Hembree’s Chevrolet garage downtown. Dad put it together and painted it real nice, seems like turquoise with white fenders, then put a basket on it for me. I rode it everywhere in the neighborhood, to Morris Creek (for swimming) and even as far as Lake Wister (for meanness). Russell Walker and I used to ride out to Morris Creek to go swimming all the time, and I rode it to Lake Wister with Jerry Hughes, until my mother came along and made us (me) ride our bikes back. I remember crying all the way back, because I figured I would be in serious trouble. I don’t really remember getting into trouble, although I’m sure I did.

Such was life as a kid.

When I was in the Air Force stationed at Altus , OK , I remember my wife and I had a big Christmas party and there were so many people there, the party spilled out into the street, and all the people, including me and my wife, were literally dancing in the street. Never mind that it was bitter cold and snowing. That seemed to be okay in my military days.

Such was life in the military.

Note: To all the Heavener bloggers, and anyone else that stumbles across this blog, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And to all a good night.

1 Comments:

At December 22, 2008 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Sounds like a lot of wonderful memories, John. Christmas is a time that always seems to sneak up on me, no matter how well I plan. Now with the grandchildren it's like it was when my three children were young--lots of visits to the toy store.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home