Sunday, December 14, 2008

HHS Campus Wars

I graduaited in 1958, I have two older brothers who are 5 & 6 years older than me. So the dates I give in this are subject to my memory. I think my brother, Jerry, was a junior so that would have made me to be in the 7th grade, but it could have been when he was a senior and I was in the 8th grade. So the year must have been about 1953.
Anyhoo, I think it was Teddy Ray Liversey who had a jeep. It was a military type of jeep and of course it was great for a bunch of boys in high school.
I really don't remember how the whole thing got started but it cumulated in an all-out war between the junior classes and the senior classes of boys.
The way the "war" was carried out, was that we would come to class after lunch hour and find out that someone was missing. The next hour we would search the area out that was south and west of where the old football field used to be. Back behind where the new school bulidings are now. We would find our missing classmate tied up to a tree or in an old barn that used to be back there.
So in retaliation we would hide behind the rock wall that went around the campus grounds and when they came by on the road in the jeep we would all jump up and throw rocks at them. One day we were successful in driving them out of the jeep and taking over the jeep. I think that pretty much ended the "war". I don't think we did anything with the jeep except jump into it and claim victory.
Isn't that really something!! If that kind of thing happened today there would be arrests and all kinds of legal stuff. Mercy!
Back then, there were no legal or school disciplinary actions to deal with. We just settled things ourselves. Mercy!

4 Comments:

At December 14, 2008 at 11:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, no way you could get away with any of that monkey business today. Reminds me of when Joe Babcock's class (1964) did something to make Mrs. Davies (sp) cry.

 
At December 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, you wrote about the rock wall; wasn't there a rock fountain too? If so did it ever work as a fountain? colin (class of 62)

 
At December 16, 2008 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Yes, there was a fountain and I understand it is still there, only they have built around it.
Yes, it did work as a fountain, and we used to do all kinds of stuff to it. You would find most anything on top of it like bicycles and such.
That was a beautiful campus. the walk leading up to the fountian was wide, maybe wide enough for 8 or 10 kids to walk side by side. It was tree lined on both sides by big trees. The campus grounds were huge. I remember when "Tractor Trent" was coach and he used to scrimmage out on the campus grounds down near the entrance by the road. We used to play baseball in that area too.

 
At December 17, 2008 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Bill,

The fountain is still there but it is now behind the new school building. I believe it was put up way back when my Mother was in HHS.

We also used the area at the west side of the school yard to scrimmage whenever the field was too wet. I remember having great fun in scrimmages on the very wet grass. I don't know if the backs liked it but those of us who were linemen reveled in the slop.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home