Friday, January 9, 2009

5 Miles to School and Uphill both ways!

Chuck Hudlow sent me a picture of the house my family lived in when I was in Jr. High and High School. Now if you know where Cox Addition is and our house was right down there on Walker Street.

Remember the saying that fathers told their children about how it was when they were kids? "We had to walk 5 miles to school in the snow and rain and it was up hill both ways!" OK, how far is it from the middle of Cox Addition to the High School? And, if you notice there was a hill to climb comming out of Cox Addition and when you went to Cox Addition you had to climb the same hill. It was up hill both ways!

And we not only walked to and from school, we came home for lunch! So we walked it both ways twice a day! Mercy!

Howboutat?

4 Comments:

At January 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

Very good, Bill. I remember doing the same thing, except I didn't have to walk nearly as far as you guys did. My 'long' walk was when I walked to Grade School on the West side. It's hard to believe kids actually walked that far TWICE a day, but I know that's what we did. Did you ever try running the entire distance. I bet you did. Back then we never got tired, huh?

 
At January 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Chuck, I don't remember ever intentionally trying to run the entire distance but I do remember running and hurring when there was something special pushing me.

I remember when Harry Truman came thru Heavener on his "Whistle Stop Tour" I hurried but I thot it was more important to have lunch than to see him! Mercy!

But Tim, my youngest brother thought it was important and he actually shook hands with President Truman!

 
At January 9, 2009 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a rather long walk from 2nd Street to the high school and back. Mercy! At lunch I often walked down town, too. I remember walking from home to baseball practice, too. It was much easier when I finally got a car about my last semester in high school. I could never walk now as far as I did in high school. If I did, tho, I would be in much better shape.

 
At January 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Way back when,all of us did, in fact, walk to and from school twice a day. Sometimes, when it was really rainy, one of the neighbors might drive us to grade school but that was very rare. I walked or rode a bicycle to the high school until I had my first car (at the tender age of thirteen) and then I hauled a whole bunch of kids. It was a 1936 Chevrolet sedan with running boards (remember them??) and I usually had tow or three kids hanging on there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home