Monday, January 5, 2009

Heavener Volunteer Fire Department

It had to be 1949 or 50, we lived just east of the oil branch that ran north - south just east of downtown. The road that ran in front of the Library (east - west) was the road we lived on. I mentioned it once in an earlier blog. From the Liberty Theater north to the first intersection was the police dept and volunteer fire dept in the corner of that building. The fire truck was in the east end of that building. The Hughes lived just east of that and the steam cleaners was directly across the street just east of the Library.

As a gradeschooler I had to walk directly in front of the doors the fire truck came out of when going and coming to grade school.

One day as I was coming home from school, the fire alarm sounded. I had just crossed in front of the Fire Dept. and so I stood in front of the Hughes house and watched as the volunteer firemen came running to get the firetruck. The big overhead door lifted and I heard the firetruck being started and watched the men climb aboard. Then the firetruck started out the door it had to go down a small ramp that took them to the level of the street. When the truck lurched out and hit the bottom of that little ramp the men hanging on the back of the truck really took a bounce. Mr. Schrivener bounced straight up into the air an arched over and landed directly on his head on the cement. I know he was knocked unconscious, but it didn't take them long to get him up and get going to the fire. Mercy!

3 Comments:

At January 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The volunteer fire department in Heavener did a good job, as far as I'm concerned. I've known of several men that were on it. Bill Babcock is a member of the volunteer FD in Octavia and he sends me emails about some fire they've gone to or some tragic event they've had to go to. The volunteer fire department is a vital part of small communities. I bet Mr. Scrivner was surprised when he had his mishap, but he still responded to his duty!

That's what a good volunteer fireman has to do.

 
At January 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Good memory, Bill. It's been a long time since I thought of the cleaners and the old firehouse. I always wondered how the Liberty could have burned so close to the fire department. BUt, things happen. Out here in the little village closest to my house, the cafe next to the fire department burned and several years ago at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, the building next to the fire department burned. Who knows.

 
At January 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

John, I was a volunteer fireman when I lived in Allenspark, CO. I will write a blog about that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home