Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The old "Oil Branch"

As I have mentioned in past blogs, the first house we lived in in Heavener was out on the Waldron Road. If you came north from our house the first cross street you came to was the street that went west across the lower RR Crossing. After you made the turn from Waldron Road and started west you came to the bridge across the Oil Branch, next was the corner where the old Blacksmith Shop was.

One year we had lots of rains, it rained so hard that the Oil Branch rose up and became a raging Branch. It was overflowing at every turn it made.

I don't remember how my sister, Janie, became lost but she was lost during all of that. The neighborhood and anyone else that could be used was out looking for her. Dr. Harvey was also involved, he sat down there on the bridge over the Oil Branch watching and waiting to see her come by in the raging Oil Branch.

I don't even rember how she was found, but she was OK and all ended well.

Another time when we lived just east of the Fire Department which was located across from the Heavener Library and the steam cleaners. The Hughes, lived just east of the Fire Department. The Oil Branch ran between our house and the Hughes'.

One year the rain was so much it filled the Oil Branch to raiging level and it overfloled so much that it flooded the area between us and the Hughes and even left water marks up under our bedroom windows. I don't remember any damages to the house. We moved shortly thereafter.

8 Comments:

At December 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

I well remember the Oil Branch, named for the oily materials that were carried down from the roundhouse. It was under the platform at the depot. I guess the plat form is still there even though the depot is long gone.

Bill, how is Janie these days? I sat near her, Fannie Satterfield, and Suzy Crawford in a class many, many years ago. I will have to tickle my memory to recall others who sat in the same class.

 
At December 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Glen, Jane married Carlos Naylor and they raised their family of one son and one daughter out there in Hodgens. She works with Jana Manafold in the Heavener Library. All is well for now.

 
At December 23, 2008 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Bill,
I know I'm getting old now. I now remember that at our 50th laerning that she was the librarian. I left a copy of my book "Tales From the Mind" to be placed in the Heavener library.

 
At December 23, 2008 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Hey Glen you wrote a book?
How do I get a copy?

 
At December 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

It's available at Deedspublishing.com (Bob Babcock's company) or from me. Unfortunately, it's a little expensive at $25 including shipping, but, if you want one, send me your mailing address to lazalier@cafes.net. If you want something in particular on the autograph page (to my old football teammate, etc) just let me know and I'll get one in the mail to you.

 
At December 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the old Oil Branch, but I guess not the "old" one out by the Waldron Road. I never knew there was one out there. I do remember the one running under the platform by the depot, because I went through there a few times as a kid, looking for things to do. I never knew until years later that it started at the round house.

 
At December 24, 2008 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

That would be great Glen, if you would write something in it I would be greatful. I was going to reply to you in an e-mail but I don't have your e-mail address and I need your mailing address so I can send the money. My e-mail is bkhinds@earthlink.net
Thanks

 
At December 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your account of Janie getting lost as a child, Bill. I'll have to kid her a bit about it. I know at the time it must have been a terrifying time for all the family after all she is the only girl in your family. She was probably hiding from all you boys! She is a great friend and we have lots of good time together and with the other ladies who were schoolmates in the 50's and 60's plus some who have moved to Heavener and made it their home. Keep up the blogging about memories of Heavener. Ann (Pledger) Kirksey.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home