Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Christmas gift to …


Christmas is my favorite time of the year, because I love to give presents to people, especially to my fellow Heavener bloggers. With that thought in mind, here is what I would give all my favorite bloggers (drum roll, please …)

To my best friend, Jim Patterson: Good tickets, in the shade preferably, for next season’s Yankees-Rangers series at The Ballpark in Arlington.

To my good friend Chuck Hudlow: To be as good as Tiger Woods, uh, not at everything.

To my new friend, Kathy Dunn: For OSU to be good, uh, but not as good as OU.

To Glen Lazalier: Continued good heath and happiness.

To Bill Hinds: Hope that he can re-discover how to get back to the blog site so he can resume writing one. Mercy!

To Craig Hall: Donations from all the Heavener bloggers, so he can continue to improve his newest venture, The LeFlore County Journal. It’s off to a healthy start and I’d like to see it grow in interest.

To Bob Collins: A renewed interest in writing blogs, because I miss reading all about his coaching career in Heavener.

To my pal, Colin Kelley: Correct “Choctaw” vision so he no longer sees double.

To Colin’s wife Peggy: Her own blog, so she can continue writing about her good memories.

To my dear family: All my love to Cynthia, Karen, Paul, Tammi, Kenny, Michael, Ora, Brandon, Garrett, McKenna, Kenedi, and last and least, Micah. Least in size, that is, not in love.

To my “deer family” at Lake Medina: Plenty of endless deer corn, since I’m not there to feed them all the time.

To all Heavener bloggers: A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And to all: A good night.

4 Comments:

At December 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

And my wish for a Merry Christmas to all who read this.

 
At December 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Kathy Bain Dunn said...

Now, John, that's just wrong!!! I'm right back where we started - you need new shirts!!!

I wish for you and your family a very Merry, Meaningful Christmas! May your tree be decorated in orange and black with a Pistol Pete tree-topper!

 
At December 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, thanks for the good words. Merry Christmas to you, too. Yankees are in town both in August and Sept. next year, so we'll be out there sometime. - Jim Patterson

 
At January 7, 2010 at 2:53 AM , Anonymous bob collins said...

John
When I began my coaching career at Heavener I considered it my duty to wash the football uniforms after each game. Saturday afternoons I would drive over to the gym, gather up all the uniforms and take them to the self service laundry. This was, of course, after the football game played that afternoon on TV was over. It took a quarter to wash one load, several quarters were spent because it took several loads to wash all the uniforms. As I remember the driers were larger than the washer and more than one load could be dried per machine. But the driers were more expensive, perhaps fifty cents a load.

This went one for some time, perhaps even into my second year at Heavener. Then we went to Eufaula and played a game and the tail end of a gulf hurricne came through and we played in a torrential downpour. At times we could not see Eufaula's team on their sideline. I think Tony Gregory scored the winning (not only the winning but the only)touchdown and disappeared shortly after crossing the goalline. There was a deep drop off just past the end zone line.

Saturday afternoon I gathered up the still wet uniforms and took them to the laundry. They must have weighed several hundred pounds. One time through the wash cycle did not even start to clean then. Two times wasn't enough, after three time I gave up and dried them.

Monday I gave out the uniforms, dry but dirty, and told the team to take them home and let their mothers wash them. The uniforms looked great, and I never again washed the teams laundry.

I was a slow learner but eventually I got it right.

Bob Collins

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home