Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wait 'til next year!

Okay, so my Sooners let me down this year. Disappointed is probably a better way to describe it. Injuries to key players – namely Jermaine Gresham and Sam Bradford – took their toll on Bob Stoops’ 2009 team. At least I can look forward to both of them playing in the NFL next season. Once Gresham, a big, fast, talented tight end, went down with a knee injury before the season even started, I knew it was going to be a long year. Then when Bradford, last year’s Heisman-winning quarterback, went down in the season-opener with a first-quarter shoulder separation against BYU, Stoops had to know this wasn’t going to be the season most of us in Sooner Nation thought it would be. Still, OU played rival Texas right down to the wire before falling 16-13, and it shutdown in-state rival OSU to the tune of 27-0 in the regular-season finale. So in the grand scheme of things, I guess it could have been worse. Texas will probably defeat Nebraska this weekend and go on to the national championship game and play either Florida or Alabama. And the victory over OSU knocked the Cowboys from any consideration for a BSC bowl invite. A loss to Nebraska in which the Sooners failed to score a touchdown for the first time since … I don’t know, maybe since I was a kid, and a devastating loss to Texas Tech were a little hard to swallow. Since I missed the majority of the season when Cynthia and I were on practically an all-season RV trip to Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas and San Antonio, nobody was around that could give me a hard time about this season.

For that I’m thankful. My buddy George and his Longhorns are to be commended for the undefeated season they’ve had, and personally I hope Texas QB Colt McCoy wins the Heisman over Tim Tebow in a close vote. The win over OSU kept alive a 30-game winning streak and boosted Stoops’ home record to something like 65-2. ’Nuff said, except that my Yankees did come through in the World Series and the Dallas Cowboys are still alive in the NFL postseason chase.

Oh, yeah, one other thing, just wait until next season!
.

4 Comments:

At December 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

How can a native Okie be happy that the OSU Cowboys were knocked out of a possible BSC bowl invitation... Wouldn't you want the state to be represented in a major bowl by another state team if OU couldn't?

 
At December 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense, Chuck, but there's only one team Oklahoma not owned by T. Boone Pickens.

 
At December 5, 2009 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Chuck said...

Now come on, John. Mr. Pickens might have 'bought' OU, too, except that the Gaylords beat him to it. Let's see, where was the last OU-OSU game played...Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, wasn't it? I believe it was just Owen Stadium until Mr. Gaylord (er, his 'family') donated $50,000,000.00 to the University. Yeah, I believe that's what happened... I can't believe you chose this direction. No offense meant, by the way. We're just having fun.

 
At December 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, OU was in every game except the Texas Tech game. But, as my brother Harold reminded me, OU lost only one game by less than a touchdown when Barry Switzer was coach. Close is no good, got to win the close ones, too. I still have faith in Bob Stoops. If not for those injuries you mentioned, John, Sooners could have easily been 11-1 instead of 7-5. As Cub fans always say, "Wait'll next year!" - Jim Patterson

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home