Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzzzard!!!

Well we are snowed in again. There are 6 families that live along our country road and for two days now none of us has tried to get out of the neighborhood. The snow is just too deep! The forecast is for continuing cold days for the next week or so so it appears we are not going anywhere for some time. We only lost power for a few hours and have all utilities up and going now so we are doing OK. No mail, no paper delivery; but have had some folks calling to check on us to make sure all is well. I have shoveled a path about half way out to the car but there is no way it is going anywhere so there is no rush to finish that job. In our last mail delivery I received the biography of Yogi Berra that I had ordered and I am making good progress reading it. He indeed was quite a character and a great baseball player. Blake Griffin is playing against the Bulls on TV and since it is half-time I thought that I would try the Ole Blog one more time. Game is back on so I'm done.

ps, John, do you think Yogi could make the Yankees nowadays?

3 Comments:

At February 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do, because he was that good and could play the outfield as well. Not too many catchers can double as an outfielder, too. Don't you agree? First base or third base, yes, but not the OF. What book did you get about Yogi?

 
At February 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, Colin. I'm sorry you are snowed in. That must be brutal. It snowed here yesterday and reports indicate that it snowed as far south as San Antonio! Cynthia got a Facebook from her son and daughter-in-law with pics of little Micah. the one I believe could pass for the E-Trade baby, enjoying his first snow.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger colin said...

John the book is:
YOGI Berra, Eternal Yankee by
Allen Barra.

We finally warmed up to 40 today. I fired up my tractor and got some of the drive and road cleared but it is difficult to make headway with 15 inches on the ground. To make things worse a couple of days ago our furnace went on the blink. Fortunately we have gas logs in the fireplace and we have been able to endure but not too comfortably. The furnace guy hopes to have us back up by Monday.

I enjoy sport stories about guys that were raised not so much different then we were back in our day. It is not fair though that Yogi and Joe Garragiola (sp) grew up neighbors and both made it to the "big show" and gus like you and me only get to dream about it.
I have actually seen both Yogi and Joe "in action". Yogi at an exhibition game at Richmond and Joe in an "old timers" game in D. C. (Aaron hit a homer in the Old Timers game).
colin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home