Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No new is bad news

Well, I waited all day Monday and no phone calls or emails, concerning the All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. Monday was the deadline, I think.

Even if I hear from them today, or later, I wouldn’t have time to make plans to go to Yankee Stadium.

I registered as many times as I could to win a trip to the All-Star game, I voted as many times for the All-Star team, as the law would allow. Or, whomever is in the charge of the Major League All-Star game would allow.

I can’t figure it out. I just knew I was a shoo-in for the game. I watched the Yankees as many times as they came on the big screen (TV) and even a few times on MLB.TV (computer). No, the Yanks aren’t doing as well as usual.

Like last night when they played the Texas Rangers, who recently called up a rookie (Chris Davis) from Longview, and I still secretly rooted for the Bronx Bombers. The Rangers wound up winning, 3-2, but I stuck with the Yanks until the bitter end.

On all the All-Star ballots I’ve put Yankees at every position – Jason Giambi at first base, Robinson Cano at second, Derek Jeter at short, A-Rod at third, Johnny Damon, Melky Cabaera and Bobby Abreu in the outfield, plus Hideki Matsui at designated hitter and Jorge Posada at catcher. This, even though Matsui, is on the current DL, he’s enjoying a decent season.

A-Rod and Posada were on the DL at times early in the season, but now they’re having decent seasons, Damon is seemingly back to being Johnny Damon at the plate. Cano is not hitting like Robinson Cano usually does, and Jeter is not hitting exactly like Derek Jeter is capable of hitting.

You can’t always expect Yankee-like seasons out of everyone every year.

Mike Mussina has bounced back and with 10 wins, he’s having a creditable year, so he will probably be chosen on the pitching staff. Then there’s Mariano Rivera. He’s the same Mariano Rivera that we all know and love.

Enough of the build-up of the Yankees. I guess I didn’t get chosen for a free trip to the All-Star Game, so I should quit complaining, huh. Oh, well ...

Who are we kidding here. Of course, there’s still time to make plans. The game is not until the 15th, right?

I’ve told Cynthia to keep the phone lines open until the night of the 14th.

2 Comments:

At July 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with those All-Star game hopes, John. I didn't even make it to the one in '95 when it was in Arlington.

 
At July 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Hang in there, John. You know the old sayings: "no good deed goes unpunished" and "loyalty gets it in the end" (and you know which end!).

I commend you. True loyalty is hard to find these days. However, as close to Atlanta as I live, it is hard to find any support for a team named "Yankees".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home