Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Bike Jump


Mercy, I'v been sitting here reading some of the blogs you guys have been writing and it is bringing back so many memories!!

In my Jr High and High School years we lived over. in what was called "Cox Addition" I never knew why it was called that but it was. During my grade school years we lived just west of the grade school up that hill and we were right up at the top. Stan Tucker lived about half way up on the next street south of us, so I could go down the ally behind our house and stop at his house and we would go on to school together. Dr. Hogaboom (spell?) lived directly behind us and we always had to watch crossing the street to make sure Dr. Hogaboom wasn't coming. He was noted for how fast he drove and he might be a little "high" also. He had a drinking problem.

Then I remember riding my bike down that hill to school. There was a bar ditch at the upper west end of the school yard and I would hit that ditch and jump several feet in the air with my bike. Then the bright idea struck! Just how far could I jump if I really got up my speed coming down that hill?? So I let all of my friends know to be sure to watch when I came back to school after lunch. (Most of us did go home for lunch, only the "country kids" brought their lunches.) So on that fateful day I started from the top of the hill and got up my speed really good. I crossed over onto the sidewalk and then went across the Kelly's lawn and got a good staraight shot at that ditch. I remember sailing into the air and doing a flip in the air, the next thing I remember is waking up on the couch outside of Mrs. Johnson's office. I was having a hard time breathing, my chest hurt really bad. The school nurse kept me there until I felt better, and then sent me back to my classroom. Mercy! Amazing - no broken bones!

3 Comments:

At September 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Bill. I read your first blog, too, but you wrote another before I could comment on it. I had no idea you lived in Michigan, or for that matter, where you lived at all. I assume you're one of the Hinds brothers (David, Tim, etc.) Nice to have you aboard. I'm sure you'll do fine. Thanks for memories of going to to grade school.

 
At September 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Hey, Bill, it's great to have you on board as a blogger. I just got back from Kansas and read both your blogs at the same time.

Do you remember the last few football games of your senior year? We ran one of the very first 4-4-3 defenses in an Oklahoma high school. I stood behind you as a linebacker and lightly kicked one of your feet to signal the directions we would slant. And the Stigler game that year had to be postponed because of a flu epidemic. It was played on a Monday night after the regular season was over.

 
At September 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

Hi, Bill, and welcome to blogging. I've enjoyed your posts.

I also wanted to thank you for the nice comments you left me regarding my Dad and your memories of him.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well considering all of the health problems you've had to deal with. You're one tough hombre. Best wishes and an early happy birthday on your 69th in November.

I knew exactly the area (the bar ditch) you were referring to as you described your bicycle jump.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home