Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Dream Last Night


My dream last night
The yawning high mountain canyon was timbered with pine and sprinkled with patches of massive oaks and hickory interspersed here and there. On the southern slope of the canyon wall a rock slide added a striking feature to the pastoral setting. The granite boulders lodged there seemed to have been stacked by some prehistoric giant of a mason. The sky above was empty of clouds and the sun would soon be easing its way behind the span of Blue Mountain to the west. The rattling stream that wound its path through the valley was not very wide except in the occasional place where an outcropping of stones served to dam up the waterway causing the water to pond somewhat. Suddenly there was a rustling stir heard coming from the featherd leaves of the limbs of a small willow that grew near one of these pools as a pair of blue jays lifted off and went sweeping further up the valley. As they did a young doe stepped into the clearing and inched its way up to the pool. It stood silent and still for a moment and then dropped its head and drank. As it did another doe emerged from the nearby brush and joined the first deer. The two soon became three as a buck appeared at the edge of the clearing and studied the scene in front of him for a while before he too stepped into the clearing and made his way up to the pool to drink. From my hiding spot behind a huge boulder a hundred paces or so from the stream, I hesitantly raised my rifle and sighted in on the left shoulder of the buck Unwilling to disturb the beauty of the scene that spanned before me I paused momentarily reflecting on the magnitude of it all and then did what I was determined to do.
Which was?

6 Comments:

At October 6, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Chuck said...

You pulled the trigger and killed the buck, of course, 'cause you're a 'deer hunter' and that's what deer hunters do.

Who cares about the beauty of the scene or the majesty of the pastoral setting...it's DEER HUNTING SEASON.

Am I right?

 
At October 6, 2008 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Yup, I wouda pulled the trigger too. I certainly love the beauth of a scene like that buuuut, Ida pulled that trigger! :)

Bill H

 
At October 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

My tthumb got in the way.

 
At October 6, 2008 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Forty years ago I would have pulled the trigger without a second thought.

Twenty years ago I would have hesitated a few seconds and then pulled the trigger.

Today, I would reflect on the fact that my belly is always full and i don't need the meat, admire the overall balance of the scene, and lift my finger from the trigger. (Unless little grown-up Bambi was eating corn from my garden like he did last year)

 
At October 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Colin everyone else were male that left a comment but here is my take on the story. It was great reading...and makes a great short story for your grand kids to read and pass on down to future relations. Keep on dreaming!

 
At October 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous is actually Ann Pledger Kirksey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home