Monday, April 27, 2009

Down to six

Six weeks until Cynthia’s retirement. Hey, I’m counting the days, moreso than when I retired in 2003. When I did so, we had only been married about six months and I knew how important she was to me. It was so I could be there for her when she had to undergo surgery on a thumb, relieving some arthritis and starting rehab. For me, retirement wasn’t necessary. It was just something I had to do to be able to help her through a tough time.

The job at LeTourneau wasn’t a life-or-death situation. I mean, there wasn’t even an SID before me and the school had been involved in some type of sports since 1946. The number of sports had increased over the years, but the coach of each sport called or came by the News-Journal office to bring me results and/or statistics pretty faithfully. So, I knew the coaches when I went there and was sure they could get along without me, too. I guess I got it on the right track, because they hired someone after me, although it took several months.

As I mentioned once before, I changed jobs from the newspaper to the university because I thought the pace would be much slower. It wasn’t and I was working so many hours, some nights and every weekend. Cynthia and I got married when it was convenient with my schedule. So, I had tired of the job, anyway, I enjoyed being married and liked being with Cynthia anytime I had the chance.

That’s why I’m so looking forward when the next six weeks have come and gone.

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

John,
I think I'm getting as anxious as you awaiting Cynthia's retirement. Jessie and I have really enjoyed mine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home