Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cronkite: my little link

Walter Cronkite was a legend as a TV voice, a great newscaster. He passed away late last week. I bet you didn’t know he got his start in East Texas , though. He was better known as the CBS anchorman who broke the world-wide news of President Kennedy’s assassination in downtown Dallas on Nov.22, 1963, but his very first assignment as a news correspondent was in New London , Texas for a school explosion in 1937. History tells us the New London School explosion occurred on March 18, 1937, when a natural gas leak caused an explosion, destroying the New London School . The disaster killed in excess of 295 students and teachers, making it the worst catastrophe to take place in a U.S. school building.

As the story goes, Cronkite arrived late and had to get his information from a little-known Longview reporter named Ed Leach, who later became Editor-in-Chief of the Longview News. Well, Ed was my very first boss at Longview . He didn’t tell me the story, but his son, Ted, did. And Ted later became one of my best friends.

I never met Walter Cronkite, but “THAT’S the way it is.”

6 Comments:

At July 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

NIce to know that people-to-people contact extends into the rich and famous. Actually, if each person has a circle of 100 friends it is probable that by moving from the first circle via one of the friend through four more circles that there is a greater than 90% chance that any individual in the US can be contacted. Sounds extreme, but that's what the math says.

By the way, John, I received a notice from Google that this blog was tentatively being labeled as a "spam" site and needed to be routinely investigated to show it was not. The notice said that the status was based on some fuzzy logic (not real data) and that the owner should contact Google. Did you get a similar notice?

 
At July 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Kathy Bain Dunn said...

Fuzzy Logic!! That's what I operated on today!

 
At July 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story, John. I knew Cronkite was the radio broadcaster for OU for a year or two, but I didn't know that got his start with the New London story. - Jim Patterson

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received the same notice, Glen. I looked at the blog again and didn't see anything unreasonable. Who knows? Chuck said he got the same notice you did. I forwarded mine to Craig, and he didn't know why either. Oh, well ...

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, when are you going to add another? Your's have been so interesting, fuzzy or not.

 
At July 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM , Blogger colin said...

When I worked for the U.S. Dept of Energy my boss was a "direct report" to the Secretary of Energy who of course was a "direct report" to the President. My Boss's title was "Administrator". The few times that I was "Acting Administrator" I could boast that there was only one person between me and the President Of the U.S. Of course neither the Pres or the Secretary knew that I even existed. I did get my picture taken one time with the VP. (It was that guy from Tenn., Glen, No, not Andrew Johnson) There was about 300 other people in the picture too. I didn't even get a copy, but I'm sure the VP treasured his copy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home