Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The laptop dilemma

by John Inman

Cynthia’s suggestion of getting a wireless laptop so I could blog on our travels and check on our emails and bills and maybe catch a Yankees game was a great idea. Most of the RV Parks we would be staying in have the wireless signal, so I thought that would be a great idea. However, when we’re not in an RV Park, locating a place that has a compatible wireless signal is not so easy.

At Long Lake Resort we could access our e-mail in the parking lot by the office with no problem. The speed was to slow to get the Yankees game live on MLB TV. When we left Long Lake Resort, we went to Sallisaw to visit my cousin Marilyn and I finished my first blog and began to look for a place to send it. Marilyn said her son, home on leave from the military, also had a wireless lap and a place he found to send was in the parking lot at a Motel 6. So we went to the same motel and sure enough we got a signal, and were able to receive but couldn’t send. I thought it was because we had tried to send a photo with it. I just went inside and asked the girl at the desk if we could come inside to send. She said, “sure.” We tried one more time, and it still didn’t work.

We tried a couple truck stops without success. At another motel, the girl inside wasn’t near as pleasant. She said, “You must have a password. You have to rent a room, then you’re welcome to use it.” I said I didn’t think so and we were off to continue our search.

A Days Inn was our next stop and we decided if this one wasn’t going to let us, it just wasn’t meant to be. I went inside again to ask the desk clerk, who was more accommodating. She even gave us a security code. Maybe that was the key. Everything worked fine this time. Cynthia even took the time to log on to Facebook so she could check on her kids.

Now if we can only find a spot near Roaring River to send this!

1 Comments:

At September 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Ah, the vicissitudes of modern life! But it sure beats the old penny postcards that we used to send from all the places we visited on vacations. GUess that shows how old I am since there was a time in my life when postcards were just a penny.

Hope you continue to enjoy the nomadic life and find good places to "vacate".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home