Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just for you, Peggy

One comment on one of my blogs caught my attention. I blogged that I encouraged a couple of coaches to “go for the gusto” back in the day when I was a sports writer. They were both female coaches of women’s team, and though their teams were obviously comfortably ahead, I told them to leave their starters in and to go for a national record for points scored. Though it may sound as if I was thinking of myself, because it would give me more to write about in my game story, easier for me to get quotes, all that stuff, etc., I was also thinking of the players being able to say they played on a team which set some sort of national record. You know, give them some “bragging rights” and personal satisfaction. The coaches didn’t listen to my reasoning, instead taking the starters out, for fear the opposing coaches/players would think it wasn’t very fair, or very sportsmanship-like, or some such mumbo-jumbo.

The blog concerned an undefeated team in the state tournament here in Texas, which had broken several scoring records along the way. By the way, Houston Yates did go on to win the state championship. I don’t remember the exact score, because it wasn’t that important to me, anyway. Several comments were placed at the bottom, including some that were in my favor, yet one was not. It was by Peggy Kelley, and here it is, “I have one question for you, John. How would you like for your grandson to be playing on the opposing team?” I thought it deserved one comment in return. Besides, it would be another blog I could add to my list.

Peggy, what would my grandson be doing playing for a women’s team? No, I’m not the kind of person that would leave a smart alec answer like that. At least, not every time. My comment would be, well, if my grandson thought he honestly played his very, very best, then I would be happy with the outcome, no matter if he won or lost. And that’s all I have to say. Or, at least, write. Thank you, however, for commenting on it, Peggy.

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, do you have a granddaughter or grandson that plays HS ball? I wanted you to put this in perspective. You obviously missed the point of my question! You know the kids on these teams are real people! I played basketball all through Junior High and High School. When I played, I wouldn't have wanted to set records like you mentioned. It wouldn't make me feel good to crush another team! What honor would there be in that? I say, "Have a heart!" Our grandson, Joshua's team was chosen as the All-State Academic Team, Class 3A. Now I call that an accomplishment!!

 
At March 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't have a grandchild that plays HS ball, you couldn't possibly understand my question.

For the record, I do think you gave a smart aleck answer, but that's OK! I praise God that we still have freedom of the press!!
Peggy A. Kelley

 
At March 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM , Blogger colin said...

Nice try John, but Peggy's right. Getting beat is one thing but have it rubbed in your face is never a good thing even if you did your best. Back when we had our winning ways in football at HHS several times we scored over 70 points in games. That's scoring almost every time your team gets the ball, but in those games our starters were on the bench before the first half was over and players that were on the 3rd and
4th teams were getting to play and Joe Babcock was getting to kick off (sorry Joe couldn't resist sticking that in)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home