Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grandkids are … well, just grand

Last week, Cynthia and I spent a week in San Antonio with Kenny and Tammi, plus their two little girls. Since Michael and Ora also live in the Alamo city, we got to spend an ample amount of time with Micah, our fifth and newest grandson.  Micah was born in mid-October when we were there, but by this time the little guy has developed a personality and likes to laugh, along with sleep and doing, you know, the dirty thing. From a six-month-old, the latter is to be expected. 

What we haven’t decided, however, is just who exactly Micah looks like. Ora’s mother says he favors Michael, Cynthia says he favors Ora somewhat. Michael and Ora aren’t committing either way. I just believe he’s a dead ringer for the E-Trade baby. You know the ones on the TV commercial, when the little tyke refers to “shankapotumus” when they’re talking about who did what to whom in golf. 


I’m not too good with the little ones. McKenna cried every time I got close to her for two years and Kenedi shied away the first couple years, but they both have taken a liking to me so we’re buddies now. I didn’t know how Micah would react. So one day, I held him for awhile, then fed him a bottle. That’s pretty much a first for me. Now Cynthia has this Nana thing down pretty good. She’s a natural. McKenna and Kenedi think she’s a “silly Nana!”

Even with Brandon and Garrett, Karen’s two boys, everything comes easy for Cynthia.  Course, I babysat with Brandon when he was much younger, Cynthia was still working, and Karen brought him by each day when she came to town to finish up her degree work at UT-Tyler. Garrett was so darn lovable, I didn’t seem to have much trouble around him, either. They’re 10 and 5 and used to being around “Papa John.” 

With McKenna and Kenedi comfortable around me now, everything is a lot more fun for us all. So maybe I can win Micah over like I did Brandon and Garrett.  Just one thing, though, when Micah decides to do the “dirty thing,” I’ll be the one shying away.

3 Comments:

At April 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Kathy Bain Dunn said...

Sounds like great fun, John! And I don't know your kids well enough to judge - but he DOES look like the shankapotomus baby!

 
At April 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

He does! He does!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Jim Patterson said...

Maybe Micah could take over for the E-trade baby. I like your name Papa John. Do you deliver pizza? Our granddaughter Holly used to call me Pizza Grandpa, because for awhile it seemed like every time they came over I would go get pizza. And since I brought it home instead of having it delivered, I was dubbed Pizza Grandpa.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home