Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bob is Back

I was sitting out on the porch this morning just admiring God's creation. It was the start to the nicest day we have had in a long time. No wind, NO rain, Not even any bugs pestering me and then I heard it; from the nearby neighbor's pasture came the whistle of a quail. I sat there still and continued to listen and soon there it came again. It had been a very long time since I had heard that call and the absence was sorely missed. When we first moved out here to our place in the country it was very common to see and hear the quail and even ocaisionally flush a covey of them as I walked through the woods. In all the wonders and beauty of this world God has given us to enjoy the bobwhite quail is one of the finest to me. The heart stirring flush of the sudden rise of a covey of them and the soon following distinctive whistling as they gather to gather again is a beautiful thing to behold. I understand that there are many reasons that they have become so scarce and I'll not debate those today, but I surely am happy to know Bob is back!

8 Comments:

At May 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a really nice sound, sitting on the porch as you hear a bobwhite chirping. We don't live in the country, but when we go camping, I hear those sounds.

 
At May 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

One of the fond memories I have of my youth and my time with my Dad was those Fall days when he would take me quail hunting with him. It might not be appropriate to comment about shooting those birds after reading your colorful description of them, but we didn't hunt them just for sport. We did eat them.

 
At May 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM , Blogger colin said...

Ditto Chuck, I enjoyed quail hunting with my Dad. Fried quail was about my most favorite food. I did have a bird dog for a few years myself. Watching a bird dog "work" is a fascinating thing to watch. If I can get my new friend Bob to venture into my yard I would be tempted to go get the 12 guage and try my luck........Naw, I wouldn' do it.

 
At May 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM , Blogger colin said...

Have you ever eaten a quail gizzard?

 
At May 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

No gizzards for me, sorry.

 
At May 29, 2010 at 10:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quail Gizzard? Doesn't sound very tasty to me.

 
At May 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM , Blogger colin said...

Guys, they're just like chicken gizzards, but they are bite size.
A real delicasy. Much better than livers.

 
At May 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM , Blogger Kathy Bain Dunn said...

I loved the excitement of Daddy and his dogs getting ready for the hunt, and I loved fried quail. I can remember how proud a good bird dog was when he brought the bird back to Dad. But you could tell the ole dog would sure like to "break" his training and tear into it. I bet I watched Daddy clean hundreds and hundreds of birds, but never saw or thought about a tiny gizzard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home