Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fireproof: Giant of a movie

Although I may have been paid as a writer for 20-something years, never in my life did I ever work as a movie critic. The only thing I wrote was when I disagreed with a coach calling the wrong play at the wrong time. And the coach usually told me I was too critical of him.

Today, I want to step out of my element and recommend “Fireproof”. If you’ve ever seen “Facing the Giants”, it’s made by the same folks. It was good and let me tell you that “Fireproof” on the big screen does “Giants” one better. It’s a real can’t-miss flick, in my opinion.

We saw it on a Saturday, and the next day in church, Brother Bennie wholeheartedly recommended that everyone see it.

I do know enough about movies to realize that the acting will not win any academy awards, but the subject is worth the price of admission. Now, it’s not one for little kids, say age 12 and below, because it’s strictly about relationships.

There’s nothing dirty, no language nor scenes, mind you. Just the fact kids may not understand fully what’s going on. So if you have little ones, leave them at home with the sitter so that you can watch without distraction.

It’s about a husband’s relationship with his wife, with his parents, with his co-workers and with God. It had humor, frustration, tears and best of all, victory! Without saying too much that would give away the entire theme of the film, let me just say it was uplifting to see a Christian movie with a theater full of people.

Brother Bennie, Cynthia and I can’t all be wrong! Go see it!

3 Comments:

At October 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Thanks John, Others have recomended this movie to me also. So I guess I'll try to see it.
Bill H

 
At October 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Hey, John. I haven't been to a movie in years but maybe this will be one worth the trip. Thanks for your review.

 
At October 8, 2008 at 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great, John. They recommended at our church, too. Gwen and I need to get out and see it. - Jim Patterson

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home