Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prime Time Is Not Senior Time

Why does almost every sport nowadays have to show their championship games in “prime time”?

I can remember the good ol’ days when the World Series was played in the day time, bowl games were all in the afternoon, and college basketball championships were on a Saturday or Sunday.

Now almost everything is played on a weeknight and starts around 7 or 7:30 Central time. What about us “old” people who have to get up and go to work? I am doing good to last until 9:30 anymore and usually I only see about half the games. Only the Super Bowl still has a decent starting time of around 5:30 on Sundays.

I rarely see the end of bowl games played at night. Don’t see the college basketball championship anymore. Only got to see the end of the World Series finale this year because it was a suspended game and they just had to play about 3 innings on the last night. Rarely see the end of baseball playoff games (some are played in the afternoon), but never see the end of NBA or NHL playoffs. I don’t watch those much anyway, but I do like to follow the local teams (Dallas Mavericks and Stars) when they get to the playoffs.

I did get to see my beloved Sooners in the national championship football game last Thursday, but had to schedule a day off the next day so I could stay up late to see the end. I don’t see how people in the Eastern time zone do it with games starting around 8 or 8:30 local time and sometimes not ending until midnight or so.

But, there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s the world we live in these days. Most everything is scheduled in “prime time” so that more people can see the games. It’s just a shame that us seniors don’t get to see as much of the games as we used to. Or at least, I don’t.

Maybe I can stay up later when I retire, but our cat won’t let us sleep late in the morning. Then again, that’s another blog.

3 Comments:

At January 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jim, not a bad blog for your first try! I don't stay up too late anymore either, even though I'm retired and don't have to be up early to go to work you "old" guys. It's hard for me to stay up and watch a Yankees game that starts at 6 or 6:30, because I get up when Cynthia has to go to work early. Can't wait until she retires ... can't wait until your blog on your cat not letting you sleep late.

 
At January 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Just wait till you get a little older and you find that an afternoon nap is the best thing in the world! Actually, I am not a particularly early-to-bed guy, usually getting there about eleven. Some times I wake up at three or four and just go ahead and get up since lying there won't help.

 
At January 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

Hey Jim,

I haven't got to make your acquaintence but I did know some Pattersons there in Heavener. I knew "Patch" he lived across the street from us for a while.

I agree with you, unfortunately I slept thru the OK / Florida game. Mercy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home