Saturday, January 17, 2009

Remembering Gradeschool Antics

My fourth grade year was highlighted by our beautiful young female teacher named Miss Bethell. I sure don't remember if that is the correct spelling. Certain ones of us, myself, Norris Duncan, Wilfred Bales were the most challenging for her. Wilfred & I had been seated directly in front of her desk. She would give us work to do then when she thought she had a few minutes she would read letters from her fiancee and write to him. Wifred & I would place our hands together and hold them next to our face in a feminine manner and make audible sighing sounds.

We would deliberately do things that we knew she would take the paddle to us and then after she warmed our bottoms we would get together out side and laugh about it. One day we were waiting for her to call us in and bust our bottoms again and on the way in Noris Duncan picked up a flat stick and stuck it in his back pocket. When he came out after the bottom busting he wasn't laughing and the stick he had in his back pocket had ridges in it from where the paddle had hit. I think she was really ticked at us that day! Mercy.

Also in the fourth grade we got a new art teacher, Mr. Hobbs. One day Wilfred and I took our long rubber bands we had made up and waited outside of the school and ambushed Mr. Hobbs and of course made our escape. The next day when we went to art class, Mr. Hobbs had written
on the chalk board - "Bill Hinds & Wilfred Bales meet me outside after school and bring your rubber bands!" I don't know what he had planned but needless to say we were a no show.

In the fifth grade Miss Owens was our target. One day I had a realistic looking rubber snake I put in her desk drawer. I spent hall time for that one.

One time Mr. Keller was hit with the softball right in the face. It broke his glasses and he wore a bandage for quite a while. While he was still wearing the bandage I would run by him and yell "look out Mr. Keller, here comes another ball!" Of course he did some fancy foot work to cover up. Mercy!

There are many more but I will let it be for now. :)







5 Comments:

At January 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame on you boys. About the only thing I did was harass some girls on the school grounds during recess and Seldon Taylor called a bunch of us in and gave us all a paddeling. Mrs. Moore used to hit our hands with a ruler if we did anything we weren't supposed to.

 
At January 17, 2009 at 3:03 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

I sure remember getting my hand whacked by Mrs. Moore, Mercy! I learned to be better behaved in her class.

 
At January 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

I remember Reba Nell Bethel, RIchard Hobbs, and Ruby Owens very well. I spent many a moment in the music class of Reba Bethel daydreaming that I was much older and that she was my girlfriend. Richard Hobbs was my art teacher. We always thought that Ruby Owens and B.J. Keller had an off-campus boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

 
At January 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

I'm sure that was true about B.J. Keller and Miss Owens, I saw them together many times at different events. I don't think they ever married, I think he lived in his parents house and stayed there after they were gone.

 
At January 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's true about BJ and Ruby Owens ... They used to go to World Burger in Ft. Smith every Saturday night, and no, hey never got married and yes, he lived in the house after his parents died. It was on 2nd Street, three houses down from mine. BJ's brother Bob was a pro boxer after he got out of the Navy or before he went it, I don't remember which it was. And Mrs. Moore and Pinky lived across from me on 2nd Street, directly across from the Babcocks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home