Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sunday Afternoons, Training Union and the Beatles

     Every Sunday afternoon for many months in the late 60's we made our trek up the mountain to the Glory Rock (respectfully named so in honor of Gloria Farley) and even back into Kitchen Canyon. I would ride my bike over to Celia Jean Costner's house, and then she and Bobby and Joe Miller would join me for the hike. Sometimes there were other friends who would go along, just whoever was around, or whoever thought that was a good idea for a Sunday afternoon. It makes me tired to even think about it now! And I remember how llooonngg the bike ride home seemed after I left Celia and Bobby and Joe at their houses to make my trip back to West 4th.  Of course, the rule at our house was that I had to be home in time for Training Union. Does anyone else remember Training Union? Did anyone else HAVE to go to Training Union every week? I remember complaining to Mother once that I had to be at church even more than the preacher's kids!! At times, I was the only kid in my "department" at Training Union.
    But it was at Training Union that I first realized I had the world's absolute best SISTER! One February night in 1964, Judy knocked on my Training Union door, last door on the left down that last long hallway at FBC. She told my teacher that we had to go home real quick. During that block's drive up the hill, she explained to me how I couldn't tell Mother, but we HAD to go see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan - everyone was watching! (Thinking back, Dad must have been working the night shift because he wasn't home and I'm pretty darn sure Mo wasn't in Training Union!)
     I was 8 years old, and I don't remember being particularly impressed with the Beatles that night. But I was extremely impressed with my sister and getting to do something so special with her. She got us back to church by the 3rd verse of the second song, and I got to sit with her on the back row. There weren't a lot of teenagers at church that night. I guess they were all at home watching the Beatles. Judy and I reached a new dimension in sisterhood that night, a dimension that grows deeper and stronger with each passing year!
     By the way, Dad, a little later in life, loved his time at Sunday School and church there at FBC. But even after he became a spiritual giant with a close walk with the Lord - - I still don't think he ever had to go to Training Union!!!

5 Comments:

At July 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the "sisterhood of watching the Beatles." I was out in the backyard playing football and mother told me they were on the Ed Sullivan Show, that I should come in and watch. George, Paul, John and Ringo started quite a craze, didn't they? I still like them. Funny, I don't remember going to Training Union, either. Guess I wasn't as fortunate as you. I never called it the "Glory Rock", either, but I remember it well. Thanks, Kathy, for bringing up some good old memories. Your age group did some of the same things as my age group. That's good to know that we all had the same things to do in Heavener.

That was the best little place in the world to grow up, huh? I wish my daughter had some of the same memories I did.

 
At July 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM , Blogger colin said...

Well, we didn't have no TV yet, but Yes I went to BTU. Kathy, remember being assigned "parts". I remember doing one and it was about the verse that sez " a city that is sat upon a hill can not be hid" and I recruited Chuck Hudlow to do a "chalk talk" drawing while I did my little talk. His drawing was much better than my talk. Chuck was a very talented kid. He could draw, he could play the piano, he could sing, and he could play ball.

 
At July 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I normally had to go to church on Sunday night at the Methodist church, but I convinced my mother to let me stay home and watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan that night in 1964. - Jim Patterson

 
At August 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

Hi Kathy,

Sure I remember BTU. I actually enjoyed it more than Sunday School. It seemed to be a more relaxed atmosphere, as I recall.

Your sister, Judy, was one of the few girls I ever had the nerve to ask to sit by me during evening services at Church Camp (Kiamichi). Unfortunately, if she remembers that evening, it's only because I spilled a strawberry snow cone on her nice dress.

 
At August 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Kathy Bain Dunn said...

Love Kiamichi and all the memories! I remember taking Judy to Kiamichi with Daddy Tom when she was about 13 or 14. We had a car full of petticoats. I think each girl had to be driven in her own car to get all the petticoats there! I think my problem with Training Union was that I was the only one in my "department" for several years!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home