Thursday, May 1, 2008

So close to a singing career

Seeing a video, taken from a Texas Tech basketball game, on an email Thursday reminds me of when I was the sports information director at LeTourneau University in Longview.

That was before Cynthia came along and rescued me, however.

SID work had to be easier than newspaper work, I figured. Nope, not hardly. Like newspaper work, I had to work every weekend and most holidays, and even some nights.

When LeTourneau would host such things as an NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) national soccer tournament, it was necessary to pull an all-nighter, since the qualifying teams weren’t known until a Saturday night and called to me Sunday night, meaning I had to be at the printer the next morning with the information for the brochure, since the tourney started the next weekend.

I had to do that twice, as I recall.

As the SID at a small Division III school, it wasn’t anything like at Texas Tech, or any other Division I school. At the larger schools, they have Event staffs to take care of most everything.

I had to do much more than keep the stats at basketball or baseball games, or even soccer matches. Much, much more.

I also took all the photos. Not only did I have to prepare press row before a basketball game, making sure the sports writers were in place, the radio broadcasters were in place, and my stat crew was in place, I also had to serve them refreshments during the game.

You know a sports writer can’t work a game and not have a soft drink, or a cookie to make his assignment just a little more comfortable.

That includes making sure they can visit the hospitality room before the game starts and again at halftime. Sportswriters are like that, you know, hungry most of the time.

Was I like that when I worked for the newspaper? Oh, well.

In addition to all I had to worry about, I was responsible for getting someone to lead the crowd in prayer prior to the game’s tip-off and to make sure someone was there to sing the national anthem, too.

That meant I always had to call someone a few days before the game to make sure I had everything lined up. I often tried to line everything up for the entire season, but that didn’t always work out. What’s that old saying, “ … best laid plans …”

And in case someone failed to show, I had to lead the prayer. Thanks goodness, I wasn’t expected to sing the national anthem as well.

Had I ever sung the national anthem, the crowd would have exited much quicker.

So, I got to know quite a few people who were prospects to sing the national anthem. Oh, I came up with girls from different high schools, small girls from junior highs, different ladies from the university and even a few players from the women’s team.

Anyone that was ever hinted to me that could sing, believe me, I got in touch with them.

1 Comments:

At May 2, 2008 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Craig Hall said...

Being an SID wasn't anything I ever wanted to do. My hat goes off to you for taking on that duty, nobody knows how hard that job is or the importance of it to the media. At least you didn't have to deal with Bobby Knight.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home