Friday, June 19, 2009

How I became a Giant fan

Upon hearing of the death of former New York Giant baseballer Dusty Rhodes this week, it brings back a lot of great memories. First of all, his name is one of the great all-time names in sports history.

But, it was in the 1954 World Series that he became a household name. He helped the Giants to a 4-0 sweep of the Cleveland Indians in that series with clutch pinch hits in each of the first three games.

Of course, Willie Mays' great over-the-head catch of Vic Wertz' long drive was also a big highlight of that series.

My mother wasn't a big baseball fan, but she always watched the World Series. I was seven years old when that series in 1954 came along and I helped my mom root for the Giants to win the series.

I can remember riding my tricycle up and down the sidewalk in front of our house in Dewey, Oklahoma, hollering "The Giants won the World Series."

From that time, I became a Giants fan and a Willie Mays fan. The Giants haven't won a World Series since, but I'm still rooting for them.

As for Dusty Rhodes, thanks for the memories. I'm glad I knew ya.

1 Comments:

At June 19, 2009 at 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, I talked John Marvin just last night. He, of course, ask about you, then he started talking about our high school days and which teams we rooted for. He remembered I was for the Yankees, Ed Stinson always pulled for the Orioles, he was a fan of the A's but he couldn't remember which team you rooted for. I told him it was the Giants, now I can tell him why it was the Giants. Good blog. You said you had a couple in you that needed to get out, but I bet Dusty Rhodes and the Giants weren't one of them, huh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home