Friday, May 8, 2009

Here comes Rachel!


The Preakness Stakes, 2nd leg of the Triple Crown will be challenged by Rachel Alexandra. She is the filly that won the Kentucky Oaks by 20+lengths! She had a Beyers Speed rating of 108. The winner of the Kentucky Derby the next day was Mine That Bird with a Beyers Speed rating of 105. That is the first time since the Beyers speed rating has been used that the winner of the Oaks (for 3 yr old fillies) was greater than the winner of the Ky Derby!

She won with over 20 lengths, which means she was just galloping, no one was pushing her so she could have had a much higher Beyers Speed rating if she was pushed!

The owners of Rachel Alexandra had already declared that they would not run her against the boys. So another stable bought her for 5 million dollars and now they have already said they will run her in the Preakness against the boys as long as she trains good and says sound. The Preakness is run the 3rd Saturday in May after the Kentucky Derby which is run on the 1st Saturday in May.

I think she is capable of winning the Preakness which is a 1 3/16 mi. The Derby was 1 1/4 mi.

I don't know if she can go 1 1/2 mi which is the length of the Belmont Stakes the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown. I know Mine That Bird can, his daddy is Birdstone who won the Belmont Stakes and beat Smarty Jones and kept him from winning the triple crown.

It's gonna be a good race, I'm betting on Rachel Alexandra.

See ya at the window.
Bill

4 Comments:

At May 8, 2009 at 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found out something tonight, Bill, you're a fan of the horses. I've been to media day at Louisiana Downs in Shreveport and went back one other time to watch the races. I did some betting, but my knowledge was limited. I never went back again, nor do I plan to go again. Sorta like golf with me. If I can't do it and be any good, I don't try. It's too frustrating. If you enjoy it, you'll go back.

 
At May 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

I have always been in love with the thoroughbreds. When I was in high school I kept a scrap book with pictures and writups of the current champions. My biggie was Native Dancer who was the top two year old at the time. The Kentucky Derby is the only big time race he didn't win and he lost it by a nose to Dark Star. Native Dancer went on to be a great champion and a great breeding stallion. Many of his offspring have been and are champions.

 
At May 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

Good to hear from you again, Bill. So you are a fan of the "sport of kings". The big horse excitement here in Tennessee is the walking horse. Back in Oklahoma it is the quarter horse. Have you ever been to the race in Sallisaw?

 
At May 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Bill Hinds said...

No I have never been to the track at Sallisaw. But I have met the man who founded Ruidoso Downs in New Mexico. It is the largest quarter horse track in the world and has all of the top championship quater horse races there. Some of the top quarter horses come from OK. I once owned a quarter horse mare whose father was Impressive. Impressive set the standard for the modern day quarter horses. Many of the top Thoroughbred trainers came up through the quarter horse tracks, including D. Wayne Lukas & Bob Baffert, both hall of fame trainers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home