Monday, May 11, 2009

Shipin' over

John just inspired another 'tale' by mentioning San Fransisco, when I was in the Army I shipped over to the Philippines from San Francisco.

We were all mustered out in the receiving area about 2,000 men. The senior NCO in charge of handing all of us was up on a platform and the first name he called was, "Sergeant Hinds"! Mercy!
He called off a few more Sergeants names and then divided the whole group into units of about 100. Then he gave us instructions to keep these men busy for the rest of the day. It didn't take me long to figure out what to do. I called my group to attention and marched them around the buildings in the area to a spot that was out of sight and told them to disappear. :)

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick thinking, Bill. Anywhere out of sight is a good place.

 
At May 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM , Blogger Glen Lazalier said...

My son-in-law is a Sergeant First Class in the Army. From what he says, things haven't changed very much.

 
At May 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The afternoon of my first day in Casual Company a corporal and myself with three other Pfc.spvenons marched away from Casual Company to the post PX. We spent the afternoon there away from the work details.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home